Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tithing

Have you ever heard a sermon or testimony about someone who was having financial difficulties and then they decided to start tithing and soon after the Lord “blessed ‘ em” with more money. I have. More than once.

Here’s a different story.

About four years ago I repented of “old way” a life style the Apostle Paul describes in the New Testament. Basically it means I quit trying to please God by doing religious works; like tithing. So I quit. I don’t tithe anymore.

What I stopped doing was giving money away so that God would bless me. I give to Him and then God will give back to me. This for that. Quid pro quo. God hates it when I try to manipulate Him that way.

So in the last four years my giving/tithing to the local church has dropped by 75%, but my income has gone up. Each year I gave less and less to the church and each year it goes up.

Now don’t get me wrong; I’m not making more and keeping more. I make more and I give more and more away, but I don’t worry or have any pressure on me to give away so much each month.

Do you think God’s going to “zap” me in the near future since I stopped tithing. I’ve been having some trouble with my left eye; might it be a tumor and if so; did I get it because I quit tithing? Have you ever had thoughs like that before? You do when you live the old way. Been there and done that a lot.

So I’m wondering...I had a job interview this week for a new job; a promotion; more money down the road. Next week may bring an eye tumor or more money, or neither, or both; I’m not sure. But I do know that it has no connection to how much I gave away last week or last year.

I don’t live that way anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home