Sunday, March 19, 2006

Missing The Point


This is a satellite picture of my town. If you came to Pekin you would find signs that help you find Pekin. They would point you in the right direction. That’s what signs do; they point. The sign serves the city; it helps direct people to the city; the sign would never ever try and become the city. Just saying that sounds absurd.

Jesus said, “The Scriptures point to me.” Like a sign pointing to a city the word points to THE WORD.

Have you ever noticed we call the Bible these days: the word of God? But the Scriptures proclaim Jesus as the Word of God, not the other way around. Over the past couple of years I have noticed numerous times Bible teachers and preachers getting the Bible and Jesus mixed up. Let me give you an example.

Paul told the Colossians to let their roots grow down into Him and draw up nourishment from Jesus. Have you ever heard a sermon telling you to do that; or have you heard the other one; the one that goes like this.

We all need food in order to sustain our physical body and what will happen if we neglect nourishing our bodies with food? We will get sick and our bodies will suffer, and it is no different in the spiritual realm. So feed on the Scriptures.

Do you see what has happened here? The word has replace The Word. The Bible never ever says, feed on me as your source of spiritual food. Remember it points.

The Bible says, feed on Jesus; He is the source of nourishment. But is that what we are hearing today? I don’t think so. I think we are missing . . . the point.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger John Bussone said...

The Scriptures are important because we believe they contain truth from God, but they are not what is most important to us.

Neither my salvation nor my spiritual development are dependent upon the Scriptures. Scripture speaks about the former and will help me with the latter, but ultimately my salvation and growth rests in our Lord Jesus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home