Saturday, April 08, 2006

Starting Over


I’m reading a book on prayer. The author quoted Jesus’ words, “If you abide in me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like and it will be granted.”

Does anyone believe this? I know it’s in the Bible and therefore it’s true and I know I’m suppose to believe it because Jesus wants me to. But from personal experience do you know this to be true?

Earlier Jesus said, “Those who abide in me and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

(So I ponder for awhile)

Jesus is in me and His words are in me. Are the “my words” Jesus spoke of words from the Bible, or does He mean fresh new words just for me? If they are fresh words from Him to me, then I would know what he wants of me, or for me, or to do or say through me. Then I could talk to him in prayer about His words and get on board with His ideas which would produce good things happening through me to others.

These good works or good fruit would then be all of His doings; I’m just following along; privileged to be apart and know that apart from Him I really can do nothing that has eternal value.

So I guess I need to spend time relating to my Father in prayer first, then and only then can I ask Him for the things that are rooted in what he communicated to me as I abide in him and his words.

I feel like I’m completely starting over in prayer....maybe it’s about time.

3 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Jake Bland said...

Good stuff brother. I've been pondering this very verse this week.

I do believe this. But I believe it to mean anything that will bring HIM glory, not US glory.

So I could pray ... God bring me a car, a wife, an apartment. Those are things for me, and I'm not sure that's what he meant.

I could even pray ... God bring me 200 kids to the next ministry gathering. If my intent is to make our ministry look really good, then I'm not sure he meant that either.

But if it's - Jesus if you bring me the kids, I will make sure you are glorified. If it's about Him, and not us - yes I believe that He will do it.

(deep) Gut check. What are my motives?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger John Bussone said...

Yep, the motives are the key. Do I want to reveal my Father to these kids; more than anything else. More than my success (which is easily disguised with bringing kids to Christ), even if it means me getting hurt emotionally; more than me getting blessed; just wanting everyone to know God either for the first time or more intimately that we ever had before.

keep asking God to reveal your heart because the flesh will deceive us.

staying free in Christ

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger John Bussone said...

When we get together and pray; we'll work on it together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home