Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Larry Crabb

I'm reading Larry Crabb's book, "The Papa Prayer" and I had to write this down and post it.

I can say with great confidence that the truth he speaks of is what has changed my entire spiritual life. I am what I am today, not because Larry helped me see it four years ago, rather it is because I belive it and this truth is becoming more and more real to me day by day.

So please read this passage from his book and take time to reflect and let me know what you think.

-------------------------
What I’m about to say is either a bunch of sweet words that have as much nourishing value as a Twinkie, or it’s one of the most staggering and under appreciated truths in the Bible.
Here it is: In the center of you soul and mine, in the exact center, the Skekkinah glory resides—the literal, real, and overwhelming presence of God. And when we live out of that center, all the self-seeking, self-serving energy that guides so much of what we think and feel and do, often without even knowing it, is miraculously displaced by love.
If that’s true, then we have no choice but to admit that we don’t usually live out of that center. Something’s getting in the way. Some thick crust must be surrounding the center, blocking our access to it, leaving us in the control of that miserable, self-obessessed energy that we so easily mistake as necessary, even Christian.
I can think of nothing I want more that to enter the “sanctuary of the center” this holy place is is already in us where we can have communion with God. David knew about this sanctuary and what happens when we’re there. “The Lord confides in those who fear him,” he said in Psalm 25:14.
I long to join that conversation. I want to sit on the floor with Papa or go for a long walk with Him His arm resting on my shoulder and listen to Him tell me His secret thoughts, share with me His deepest feelings, and let me in on what He’s doing and what He wants to do through me.
Does that sound as good to you as it does to me? I want to hear Him express His love for me in ways my earthly Father never could do. And I want to be heard by Him, to know all that I’m going through. I want to feel His life, His substance, stirring in me and released from me, to know that I’m neither invisible nor weightless; that I’m being sent on a mission I’ve been equipped to handle, a mission that matters. I want to find myself in finding Him. I want to be released to be who I am in Christ. I want to so I can taste it.
And it’s possible. It’s available to me. What I want most I can have. For one reason: God Himself is in me.
Papa’s Spirit has moved into my heart and made it His home. Every minute He’s whispering that Jesus loves me, that Papa is singing over me. He’s listening to the words I say and cleaning them up so they’re fit to be presented to Papa.
He sees my most appalling fantasies, my most embarrassing failures, and reminds me Papa still welcomes me whenever I come to Him. And He tells me every day that I’m one of a kind, equipped as no one else in the history of time to advance His kingdom in unique ways that no one else has ever been asked to do. The Spirit in me is carrying Papa’s voice into my heart, where I can hear it.

----------------------
I want this more than anything else and I'm getting there.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time post. I'm a long time reader and seminar attender of Larry Crabb. The second P in PAPA is for PURGE, becoming more in touch with the ugliness and confessing it to our Forgiving God. See chapters 16 and 17. Since "Understanding People" Larry has had a chapter or more in many of his books on seeing our sin in away that makes us hunger for God more and experience the warmth of His forgiveness.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Papa Bear said...

The PAPA prayer is indeed about seeing how little we are and how big God is. Once we get this understanding we can truly appreciate how special it is that the Lord God Almighty is especially fond of each and every one of us. If we get that right we can experience dwelling in His sancutary a walk in the victory He wishes for us to walk in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home