Sunday, May 21, 2006

Did God kill this pig?



I worked today, on Sunday, at Caterpillar. Since I am going on vacation in two days and they pay you double time, I figured why not.

Gary, an older guy who works next to me, didn’t see it that way. He casually mentioned in my hearing that he would not be working, “I’m going to church Sunday.” I didn’t respond.

Gary then proceeded to tell this story: I remember my dad worked on Sunday a couple of times and it seemed that a pig would die soon after; so he quit working on Sunday. That was his story; I'm not making this up.

I needed to speak.

“The one had nothing to do with the other.” Don turned to me and talked about Sunday being a day of rest; the Sabbath. I told him we were no longer under those old rules and we had a new one to live by and did he know that Jesus had broken the sabbath.

I then asked him if he thought God had killed his dad’s pig because he didn’t go to church. By this time 5 other guys are listening to every word. He wasn't sure if God killed the pig, but he was not willing to say God had not.

I also inquired if I something bad might happen to me since I was working Sunday. His answer was consistent, maybe yes and maybe no; who knows.

I think Gary sees God as some kind of Vending Machine much like Santa Claus. Again I’ll let my friend Larry Carbb explain. “You don’t have to relate to a vending machine. Just put in your coins (religious activities) and collect your treat (blessings). I wonder how much of our worship and declarations of love for God express the same sentiment felt by a satisfied consumer walking away from a vending machine, biting into his Snickers candy bar.

We pray right. It works. The parking spot opened up. The lump disappeared. The new job came along. (The pig didn’t die.) Let’s pray more. Let’s insert more coins God is good.”

I bet God gets really really tired of being treated that way. I’m trying to relate differently to God. I just want to be with Him; get to know Him. Yes, the pages of Scripture contain what others have learned from and about God, but what about me. Does he want to reveal himself to me and to you and to us as we gather together and pray in oneness.

I want that. I want to be filled with God’s wisdom and release it into the lives of others, especially those close to me. I really want that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home